Please login or register

Strategy Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Srategy Forum is Dying
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 08-12-02 02:19 AM EDT (US)   
I've notcied lately that the strat forum has become less and less popular. Hardly any posts are being made. Is everyone moving to the general forum or is EE in general getting old and boring.Any comments?

aka

Manfred Von Richtofen II

Replies:
posted 08-12-02 02:53 AM EDT (US)     1 / 88  
i like this forum, but all anyone wants to post about here are the campaigns

Anarchy_Balsac(owner of Anarchy clan in ee)
posted 08-13-02 02:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 88  
Hmmm...I didn't know that me being-not-here would affect this much

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 08-13-02 04:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 88  
We need more newbies... That would keep it alive and eventually create new experts that can discuss expert strategies with each other.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
posted 08-14-02 07:30 AM EDT (US)     4 / 88  
<--

Cough cough...

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 08-16-02 10:49 PM EDT (US)     5 / 88  
lol, i wonder how many good players there are left(besides the few strike clan members lurking around, and of course "empire robin")

posted 08-17-02 00:24 AM EDT (US)     6 / 88  

Quote:

We need more newbies... That would keep it alive and eventually create new experts that can discuss expert strategies with each other.

Wrong, cause the rookies only play setts like 2 v 2 huge map standard high...keep playin setts like that and you'll never gain the skill to compete with the likes of the ppl on my list in the General Forum.

http://ee.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,4546,0,10

[This message has been edited by SAS_Soldier (edited 08-17-2002 @ 02:30 AM).]

posted 08-17-02 09:59 AM EDT (US)     7 / 88  
keep thinking that way and you'll never gain those skills yourself

posted 08-17-02 12:31 PM EDT (US)     8 / 88  
You're right because they are simply too fast for me. I've played enough Ran-Nano tourney games with _Pure_ and a few of the SRWs to realize I just don't have the fast reflexs that it takes to beat them.

And what I said was true, you'll never see a ~Pure~Hosting~Experts or SRW Fun and Games with Standard High, 20 citz(rookie setts).

posted 08-17-02 12:35 PM EDT (US)     9 / 88  
no what i'm saying is there is more to skill than just rushing, if you think that's all there is then that's all you'll get good at

posted 08-17-02 12:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 88  
Didn't say that. All I said was keep playin Standard High 20 citz and you won't get any better.

But, Rushing is skill that is necessary to be considered an expert. Sometimes it can break a player early if you're quick enough. What name do you play on in EE? I don't believe I've ever seen you in a ~Pure~Hosting, SRW Fun&Games, or a ~StatiC~Experts Game. Or old school I LovE JennYs Game...

posted 08-17-02 06:12 PM EDT (US)     11 / 88  
you'll get better at playing those setts won't you?

posted 08-17-02 07:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 88  
Sure you'll get better playing just by playing at any setting but you're never going to be as good as someone who plays with leaner settings. I mean sure you're could get to be a star in slow pitch but you're going to be eaten alive in the major leagues, however in reverse a major leager used to all them crazy pitches, and a small balls gonna cream anyone if he goes and plays slow pitch and only has to hit meatballs and big balls.

Tourney Low Setttings with 5 citizens does NOT get you good because it allows you to rush or practice a rush BUT it gets you good cause its tight on resources (both material and citizens), and have to worry about being attacked early so that you learn to create a good economy, while building a good defence and/or attacking force with the minimum possible. That is you learn to play EFFICIENTLY, and if you are lucky to be good enough OPTIMALLY. Having more resources is simply allowing yourself more room to make mistakes without facing the consequences right away.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Villy (edited 08-17-2002 @ 07:51 PM).]

posted 08-18-02 00:16 AM EDT (US)     13 / 88  
well what it all comes down to is a different strategy

people who play on tournament low play that well, people who play on standard high play that well

tournament low strat from my experience seems to be rush, and keep it up

where as standard high tends to be a combination of that and epoch racing(you epoch in tournament low too, but not nearly as much)

posted 08-18-02 00:52 AM EDT (US)     14 / 88  
Something you need to understand is that people(usually good players and experts) who play the tourney-low style of play are good at all settings, because a higher resource sett will simply allow them more flexibility in their strats, where if a person who plays standard-high gets into a tourney-low game they are going to be lost and get steam rolled very quickly.
posted 08-18-02 01:47 AM EDT (US)     15 / 88  
gee thats funny if i wasn't mistaken i would have thought this post was about the strat forum and EEs popularity. How did it get onto newbie and expert setting and stuff. Oh well

aka

Manfred Von Richtofen II

posted 08-18-02 03:00 AM EDT (US)     16 / 88  

Quote:

There's your answer as to how this got started. I had to point out that that statment was wrong. And then some people had to again show their ignorance and start an argument. But I'm not the type of person to point fingers or mention their name.

posted 08-18-02 03:35 AM EDT (US)     17 / 88  
>where as standard high tends to be a combination of that
>and epoch racing(you epoch in tournament low too, but not
>nearly as much)

I think thats backwards...in Tourney sets the lower cost of epoching makes epoching much easier and faster. Typically you rush someone, and in the middle of the attack, you generally can epoch up if things are going smoothly. Basically you have to be concerned with both epoching up and attacking right off the bat.

In standard games, u have more resources, and it takes so much more to epoch up, that you're better off to build a bigger force to attack someone for a more decisive battle.

posted 08-18-02 01:37 PM EDT (US)     18 / 88  
Don't forget that sometimes people play Standard High res, with the Tourney varient
posted 08-18-02 11:51 PM EDT (US)     19 / 88  
oh man, now THAT is mondo Newbie settings!
posted 08-19-02 09:19 PM EDT (US)     20 / 88  
i have never played it without tournament variant, but it's inaccurate to call anything newbie settings

posted 08-19-02 09:32 PM EDT (US)     21 / 88  
Geez Standard resources on tourney variant?
you're giving yourself so much slack, you might
as well just play with cheat codes on. seriously.
you're taking the skill right out of the game.
posted 08-19-02 11:49 PM EDT (US)     22 / 88  

Quote:

i have never played it without tournament variant, but it's inaccurate to call anything newbie settings

Fine, I'll call it "A much easier to play and kinder to newbies setting."

[This message has been edited by SAS_Soldier (edited 08-19-2002 @ 11:49 PM).]

posted 08-20-02 02:56 AM EDT (US)     23 / 88  
have you ever considered that people might not play with tourney and standard for reasons other than being a newb?Lotsa ppl use it because they just wanna play a FUN EASY GAME. Personally i'd much rather a big battle after ten minutes than getting killed by 10 guys in 4 cos someones rushing. THink about it.

aka

Manfred Von Richtofen II

posted 08-20-02 03:32 AM EDT (US)     24 / 88  
"Geez Standard resources on tourney variant?
you're giving yourself so much slack, you might
as well just play with cheat codes on. seriously.
you're taking the skill right out of the game."

come on, i know your smarter than that

everyone has that advantage, that's why you can't call it newbie settings

oh and what about DM? i suppose you think that's for newbies too huh?(i'd like to see you try a DM though)

posted 08-20-02 10:38 AM EDT (US)     25 / 88  
understanding unit relationships and running your troops around is way less tough then having to plan and manage a lean and efficient economy in addtion to managing an army.

well DM is more popular with newbies, and those that arent strong in managing an economy, but good in managing their troops. this is the same just a more extreme case of playing standard high resources in tourney mode. So maybe newbie is not exactly the right word. Just players who cant walk and chew gum at the same time.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » Strategy Forum » Srategy Forum is Dying
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames