Empire Earth 3 General Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Two Empire Earth 3 Reviews out
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-17-07 06:27 AM EDT (US)   
Finnaly some reviews are out for this 'dispapointing' game the first by Gamespot.

The review may be seen as some what harsh with it's rating of 3.5, but it more than justifies all it's points, and I fear about 75% of people will agree with the review. The main criticisms are mostly of the unstable game engine, modest graphics despite heavy system requirements, the game being dummed down so much and mediocre voice acting.
Heres a quotes

"We could get into the derivative, buggy multiplayer, the frequent crashes, and the demanding system requirements that bring a Crysis-conquering system to its knees, but what's the point? Earlier Empire Earth games were acquired tastes that not everybody liked. Now, in an attempt to reach out to the masses, the developer has given us a game that nobody will like"

IGN gave another disapointing review, but more higher than the gamespot one, giving it 5.4, saying how poor the gameplay was, and how you were expecting really good graphics, but they're more than dissapointing.
Heres a quote:

"The animations aren't very good and the performance leaves a lot to be desired"

Edit: Just noticed another review this time by Gamespy Cor there all coming out at once arn't they? This review gives it a rating of 2 out of 5. Stating how disapointing it is compared with the previous two.

"The original was named GameSpy's 2001 Game of the Year, thanks to a huge scope and the best RTS editing tools available at the time. The sequel, while perhaps overly complex, was still a fantastic title catering to hardcore players. Unfortunately, Empire Earth III has little to offer strategy fans of any disposition. Some of the hallmarks of the series have been stripped away in an effort to simplify the game"

The average of these three reviews coming too 4.3, as I don't have the full game, I don't think im in any position to state my opinion of if the reviews are fair. But judging from the demo i've played I have to agree with either Gamespots review or Gamespys.

Anyway, Discuss!

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant
"I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD" - Ashrzr defending himself from paedophile charges.

Scenario designer for Empire Earth and Empire Creations
1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
President of EEH, alongside Ashrzr (FILM DUDE!)

[This message has been edited by A Banned User (edited 11-17-2007 @ 06:36 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-17-07 08:12 AM EDT (US)     1 / 52  
I've only spent an hour or so playing the game with a borrowed copy.And while I'm not normally one to make rash judgements, I completely agree with the reviews. I wish I had seen something in the game that could have warranted another go, but I just didn't.

If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.
posted 11-17-07 03:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 52  
Wow, I never thought EEIII would actually get such a bad score. In the Gamespot and Gamespy and review it's even lower than average. I personally think the graphics of this game is not really that bad, but I must say the system requirement is too high for that. However, since I can't even load Skirmish games in the demo I can't make comments on other things.

This is the best signature ever!
posted 11-17-07 07:03 PM EDT (US)     3 / 52  
Well EE3 is going through the same exact thing that Simcity Societies (i don't have this one yet) is going through right now. They took a different approach, changed and simplified things and many just don't like. What I can say, forget the reviews, grab your bud, play the game and you will be surprised how much fun it actually is. It does have some AI and pathfinding issues but they can certainly be worked out in a patch. My main complaint with the game is that it is not letting me patch up. It keeps telling me I don't have the full version installed yet I do. So since it don't think I have the full version installed, the patch application closes and game don't patch.

-Warspite-
posted 11-17-07 09:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 52  
...the game is ... not letting me patch up. It keeps telling me I don't have the full version installed yet I do. So since it don't think I have the full version installed, the patch application closes and game don't patch.
I had the same problem once with some other game. I think I had installed and uninstalled the demo first, but the uninstall apparently didn't remove all its traces. I ended up using both CCleaner's registry issue fix function and Windows' regedit to eliminate all traces of the demo before I could update.
posted 11-18-07 01:05 AM EDT (US)     5 / 52  
The internet shows how the game is responding since it has been out for more than a week now and we still only average like 7 or 8 people online at a time. It is hard to get a single game going.

It does have many bugs and I would not call in Empire Earth anything if I had my way. It would be called something else so the EE name would stay in tact.

It still can be fun though if your system can run it. We have crashes all the time though from bugs in the game. I played 4 games online today and only one of them finished due to players not having crashes during the game.

They need to release a patch ASAP to correct some of these critical bugs.
posted 11-18-07 02:36 AM EDT (US)     6 / 52  
Its sad to see a game with so much potential getting so few players and such bad reviews. It really kills the sales and with no sales you have no community. Hopefully the next reviews will be positive and the online crowd will increase.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 11-18-07 10:01 AM EDT (US)     7 / 52  
Hopefully IGN will have something good to say about it.

Rick Goodman Enthusiast
Empire Earth
Empire Earth: Art of Conquest
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
Empire Creations Design Team
posted 11-18-07 10:14 AM EDT (US)     8 / 52  
What I'm hearing about Sim City Societies is that it's the execution it's wrong with, not the concept. And it's the same with Empire Earth 3. While I definitively prefer the way Mad Doc approached Empire Earth 2 to the "Warcrafty" approach they've taken with this one, I can appreciate why they took it, and was as open minded as I possibly could have been going into it.

The fact is, that even if there's a half-decent game to be found in Empire Earth 3, it's not worth the effort to find it, given the multitude of excellent games - strategy or not - coming out this year.

posted 11-18-07 10:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 52  
Its sad to see a game with so much potential getting so few players and such bad reviews.
Never saw the potential, actually it's the first game in a long time with the least potential, so much stripped away and oversimplifyed, that's why I long predicted the fall on of EE III on these boards.

It's a shame HG prevents people with experience to give "negative feedback" (contructive feedback) to a developer with a game in progress. All HG want's is blind prasial of the game, everything else is considerd negative attitude and promtly dealt with.
posted 11-18-07 11:11 AM EDT (US)     10 / 52  
They took a different approach, changed and simplified things and many just don't like. What I can say, forget the reviews, grab your bud, play the game and you will be surprised how much fun it actually is
Im sure me and loads of other people would find it nearly impossible to ignore 3 poor reviews by proffesionals, and go ahead and spend either 35 (or $50) on the game, because someone told us it'll be fun. Especially when repeatedly playing the demo and being constantly unimpressed by it.

Oh and shouldn't this be newsied?

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant
"I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD" - Ashrzr defending himself from paedophile charges.

Scenario designer for Empire Earth and Empire Creations
1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
President of EEH, alongside Ashrzr (FILM DUDE!)

[This message has been edited by A Banned User (edited 11-18-2007 @ 11:12 AM).]

posted 11-18-07 12:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 52  
It's a shame HG prevents people with experience to give "negative feedback" (contructive feedback) to a developer with a game in progress. All HG want's is blind prasial of the game, everything else is considerd negative attitude and promtly dealt with.
I fail to see how HG prevents people from giving constructive criticisms to the game.

This is the best signature ever!
posted 11-18-07 12:31 PM EDT (US)     12 / 52  
Probably just haven't gotten around to it. But I'm certainly not envious of HG's situation. See all the EE3 ads?

posted 11-18-07 12:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 52  
Constructive criticism is absolutely fine. Hell, you can even say that you hate the game and state all your reasons why you will never play the game and you think you want your money back. Just keep it in one post.
Well, I was hoping to more positive news up there... Regular forummers can still see that there are reviews from this thread and don't need the newsie to find out. New visitors of EEH don't need to be scared off by the bad reviews without seeing some of the positive comments this game has also won from forummers.
Probably just haven't gotten around to it. But I'm certainly not envious of HG's situation. See all the EE3 ads?
I'm sure thats on a contract. The adds will stay up until that contract expires and I don't think it should cause much of a problem at all. A few people here and there might think it odd to advertise a game that so many complain about, but that is the nature of marketing.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 11-18-07 12:53 PM EDT (US)     14 / 52  
I fail to see how HG prevents people from giving constructive criticisms to the game.
If you was here from early EE II and RnF: CaW, you should know.
posted 11-18-07 12:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 52  
If you was here from early EE II and RnF: CaW, you should know.
But that is years ago. The staff has changed.

posted 11-18-07 01:03 PM EDT (US)     16 / 52  
@ GoSailing

Uhmm ...no? Remember just a few months ago, you and I had a minor fight, just because I pointed out some negative aspects of EE III.
posted 11-18-07 01:19 PM EDT (US)     17 / 52  
No, you and I had a "minor fight" because you didn't keep it to one post and you were posting unhelpful comments everywhere. If you want to vent your frustrations with the game, just make a thread and leave the rest alone.

posted 11-18-07 01:44 PM EDT (US)     18 / 52  
If you want to vent your frustrations with the game, just make a thread and leave the rest alone.
Could you please try again in a more mature manner?
posted 11-18-07 02:24 PM EDT (US)     19 / 52  
I'm sure thats on a contract. The adds will stay up until that contract expires and I don't think it should cause much of a problem at all. A few people here and there might think it odd to advertise a game that so many complain about, but that is the nature of marketing.
Yes, I'm sure they won't/can't retract current ads, it's more future collaberations I'm "worried" about. Rest assured that I'm not trying to make something big of this, I've just been speculating about how the symbiotic relationship between gaming media and publishers really is. Penny Arcade recently wrote about the dilemma they found themselves in, when they, after having collaborated with UbiSoft on the advertisement for Prince of Persia 2, found it to be a bad game. Do you tell your readers the "truth" and damage the chances of future collaborations with the publisher, or do you just stand idle and damage the thrust your readers have in you. It's even more of an issue for traditional gaming sites, as they depend upon publishers for a lot of their content.

With regards to waiting for some more positive reviews, that's exactly what I would have done back when I was active at an EE fansite. If it helps, the game gets 7/10 at Gamereactor.dk, 75/1000 at Looki.de and 4/5 at Ingame.de. Then there's the more blog-like sites: An experienced user over at newsvine.com gives it 1/5, while this weird unrated review is positive.

Here's hoping all the links work.

posted 11-18-07 04:03 PM EDT (US)     20 / 52  
Yes, I'm sure they won't/can't retract current ads, it's more future collaberations I'm "worried" about. Rest assured that I'm not trying to make something big of this, I've just been speculating about how the symbiotic relationship between gaming media and publishers really is. Penny Arcade recently wrote about the dilemma they found themselves in, when they, after having collaborated with UbiSoft on the advertisement for Prince of Persia 2, found it to be a bad game. Do you tell your readers the "truth" and damage the chances of future collaborations with the publisher, or do you just stand idle and damage the thrust your readers have in you. It's even more of an issue for traditional gaming sites, as they depend upon publishers for a lot of their content.
You are totally right, but because we aren't as big or well known as, say, Gamespot, it doesn't have quite the same repercussions that they talk about.

posted 11-19-07 12:33 PM EDT (US)     21 / 52  
There's another review to be found over at actiontrip.com, which gives the game 57/100.

The "utterly maddening unit voiceovers" referred to in this review and most of the others, is baffling, as it something pretty much everyone should be able to pick up on within the first 10 minutes of gameplay. I hadn't even built an army yet when it first began to annoy me. It's not the bad humour that troubles me, it's the incessancy of it. And then there's the fact that it's a complaint I haven't heard levelled at a game in years. At least not since the RTS were crowded with bad clones (there are far more decent RTS developers out there now), before the jump to 3D from 2D were complete.

posted 11-19-07 05:38 PM EDT (US)     22 / 52  
Yea, the voiceovers are pretty bad, but the reviewers must be seeing something else that is also driving them nuts to give reviews at 57/100. What do you guys think those are, and how do you think they could be fixed in patches?

posted 11-19-07 06:06 PM EDT (US)     23 / 52  
I've decided to give the game another go as soon as I tire of Sins of a Solar Empire & Super Mario Galaxy, and I get a chance to borrow the game again. BTW, my friend thinks it's a decent game, something akin to a 7/10 (which with todays inflated review scores is as low as I go when considering buying a particular game).
Yea, the voiceovers are pretty bad, but the reviewers must be seeing something else that is also driving them nuts to give reviews at 57/100. What do you guys think those are, and how do you think they could be fixed in patches?
Off the top of my head, I would definitively either dial down the amount of "witty" remarks, or at least provide players the option of doing so (if it, as I remember, isn't already an option). Then there are the performance problems, but must of my major isssues with the game simply aren't patchable. It's simply just a mediocre game as most of the review scores indicate. I just don't think Mad Doc can patch their way to greatness in this case. But let's hope.

posted 11-19-07 09:00 PM EDT (US)     24 / 52  
There are many complaints about EE III how it fails on so many points, they may not be major flaws in some eyes, but all together it makes a big let down for EE series fans.

These are but a few points found both on Gamespot.com forum and the official Sierra forum.

- inaccurate historically units.
WW I tank in present day battle? Rennisance cannons on WW II/present day battleships? The list goes on.
- bad unit pathfinding, even after the patch units will pile up in chokepoints at times.
- weak AI opponents, suiciding at towers.
- only 5 epocs, the previous EE games made a big splash about a massive epoc race, it seems AoE series would be more appealing here.
- over simplifyed gameplay, not so interesting upgrades/tech tree.
- only 2 resources.
- graphic appropiate for a game 5 years ago.
- graphic quality and system requirements are not consistent
- incredible annoying unit taunts.

[This message has been edited by Age of Sails (edited 11-20-2007 @ 03:55 AM).]

posted 11-20-07 04:24 PM EDT (US)     25 / 52  
No, you and I had a "minor fight" because you didn't keep it to one post and you were posting unhelpful comments everywhere. If you want to vent your frustrations with the game, just make a thread and leave the rest alone.
I guess it could help people not buy the game. If the people weren't do state their dislike for it, especially in the manner they were, I might have found myself buying this game.

EE forever
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » Empire Earth 3 General Discussions » Two Empire Earth 3 Reviews out
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames