You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

EE Community Forum
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What is wrong with America?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-06-03 02:05 AM EDT (US)   
America, it used to be the greatest country of the world. But it has been on a steady decline in the past few years. Which is not to say that it is a bad place, but that other countries are at the same level (they have been going up as the US is going down) as the US now. I often think about this, and why it is so.
Here is my question to you, what is wrong with America? I have my own opinions, but I am looking for other explanations as well. Here are mine...

1. World War II. Before this conflict the US was an isolationist country, afterwards, the country became the "world's police." Wars in Korea (sanctioned by the UN) and VietNam (in aid of France, and sanctioned by the UN) were seen as wars that the US shouldn't have been involved in and hurt the country's foreign appeal. As well, now, it seems that the Government is more concerned with foreign problems then their own, domestic problems. Whereas, when we were isolationist, we only worried about ourselves.

2. Politicians. Now, I know that you're thinking "he is going to say that politicians are corrupt." Well, you're right. Corruption in the Government is a huge problem. Back when America was great, the political leaders of this country cared more for the country than their own personal gain. Now, all that political leaders want is money and power for themselves.

3. Crime. The US has some of the highest crime rates in the world. You can hardly say that a country is great when a man can't walk outside his house at night without worrying that he might be murdered. Or shopowners have to bar up their windows so that their goods won't be stolen. Or you can't do something as simple as leave your car unlocked.

4. Mexico. Waves of illegal immigrants cross the border every day. Now, I'm not blaming Mexicans for America's problems, but they contribute. When you get illegals from Mexico, what else do you get? A bunch of uneducated fools that can't speak English (speaking of which, when I was in LA last week, we were at Burger King and they had a poster on their counter advertising "The Great American Burger", we promptly walked out when we saw that the rest of it was in Spanish).

5. Superpower. The US, as the sole world superpower, has such a great responsiblity to do everything perfectly. The Government is in the center of the world stage. However, our actions can only suit one half (theoretically) of the world. The rest start to create a bad image of the US (which they pass on to their children, who pass it on to their children, who pass it on...). The Government, trying to keep a popular image, always tries to do the "right thing", instead of doing what should be done.

There you have it, now, what do y'all think?

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people." -President Bush, State of the Union Address
Replies:
posted 07-21-03 06:49 PM EDT (US)     31 / 44  
just to respond to qb's comment;

what exactly is your definition an 'invasion'. If you are insinuating that some purpose to degrade the quality of life for citizens is intent with this immigration than I disagree.

I can't speak for anyone crossing the border legally or otherwise but I do have enough knowledge of poverty in a few of our neighboring countries to know that, for many, the plight is desperate and hopeless. Some come because loop holes in our laws provide them with benefits that they wouldn't normally be able to recieve. Some escape lawlessness and corrupt government and others know that at the very least, their family will have a future, albeit humble.

I think sometimes we think of ourselves and our own families before we consider the needs of others.

Why do you suppose we don't have hordes of Canadians flooding the borders of New York and Minnesota. Now tell me why it's so much easier for a Canadian to become a citizen, or even a permanent resident than it is for a South American.

I don't buy that garbage about how we thrive on the cheap labor provided by the effects of illegals. I think it's an insult to those who struggle to make it here. It's called 'businesses taking advantage of people who will do anything for nothing'. I will pay the higher price for my apples if it means the employer provides the same employment protections to a worker as any of the rest of us get.

I don't want anyone taking advantage of the services I pay such high taxes for but hey if they were legal and paying taxes then I guess it wouldn't be an issue, would it?

but then again the fake id card industry would collapse and then where would we all be?

A fool shows his annoyance at once but a prudent one overlooks an insult. -Proverbs-
posted 07-22-03 07:06 AM EDT (US)     32 / 44  

Quote:

I will pay the higher price for my apples if it means the employer provides the same employment protections to a worker as any of the rest of us get.

A lot of people say that, but unfortunately it's just sanctimonius nonsense. Most people buy the cheapest apples.
posted 07-22-03 11:03 AM EDT (US)     33 / 44  
...and my point exactly. Most people care too much about the extra cost to their pocketbook and not enough about the actual cause of the problem.

A fool shows his annoyance at once but a prudent one overlooks an insult. -Proverbs-
posted 08-26-11 06:27 PM EDT (US)     34 / 44  
Bump

lol@people saying the US wasn't slipping.
posted 08-27-11 01:00 AM EDT (US)     35 / 44  
Obvious troll is obvious.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 08-27-11 03:22 AM EDT (US)     36 / 44  
Wow how did someone bump this thread I would expect it to be archived.
posted 09-21-11 07:50 PM EDT (US)     37 / 44  
personally i thikn amerca is the grattest country evr!!!!!

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
posted 09-22-11 06:20 AM EDT (US)     38 / 44  
A bit of Patriotism Blatant.
posted 09-24-11 00:41 AM EDT (US)     39 / 44  
If you want to call it that...

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 12-15-11 07:05 PM EDT (US)     40 / 44  
I would say America is not slipping... more its stopped going forward, the economic problems has just put America in a standstill where it can fall or go ahead, and of course you still have the apparent problems of super powers. Saying the US is the only superpower is not strictly true, as China is clearly an economic and military superpower, with it doubling its treasury every two years, which is an astonishing feat to get to. Regardless, America sees itself unchallenged, but it shouldn't, the threat from Russia could come at any point (If they ever sort of their economy again) and the Chinese are already at a state where they could claim to be more powerful.

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 06-30-15 01:51 AM EDT (US)     41 / 44  
Don't we all yearn for an age of heroes?

[This message has been edited by BOBXV (edited 06-30-2015 @ 01:54 AM).]

posted 06-30-15 01:15 PM EDT (US)     42 / 44  
America is still the best, in a world of crap.
Russia is hardly a threat; most of its new tech is being sold to other countries, India in particular (I think they should have had India in EE AoC)
China's military could be a challenge for our allies such as Japan and South Korea, but never to the whole United States military.

Many "liberal" countries in Europe (other than France, Germany, Scandinavia, and a few others) rank lower on the UN free-from-corruption list than the United States (US=#17 out of 175 nations), an impressive fear for its size and division.

I will be back later.
http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

[This message has been edited by DeltaDart (edited 06-30-2015 @ 01:16 PM).]

posted 04-10-23 10:45 AM EDT (US)     43 / 44  
Here is chatgpt's response.
It is true that the US has undergone significant changes over the past few years. However, it is important to note that America is a vast and diverse country, and generalizations can be misleading.

Regarding your points, while it is true that the US has taken on a more global role since World War II, it is also important to consider the positive impact the US has had on the world, including its contributions to international aid and humanitarian efforts.

Regarding politicians, while there have been instances of corruption, it is also important to recognize that there are still many politicians who are dedicated to serving their country and constituents.

Regarding crime, it is important to note that crime rates in the US have been declining in recent years. However, it is still a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Regarding Mexico and illegal immigration, it is important to recognize the contributions that immigrants, both legal and illegal, have made to American society. Additionally, it is important to note that the vast majority of immigrants, regardless of their legal status, are hardworking and contribute positively to their communities.

Regarding America as a superpower, it is true that the US has a responsibility to act responsibly on the global stage. However, it is also important to recognize that the US is not perfect and has made mistakes in the past. It is important to learn from these mistakes and work towards a better future.

In conclusion, America is a complex country with many challenges and opportunities. While there are certainly issues that need to be addressed, it is important to avoid oversimplifications and to approach these issues with an open mind and a willingness to learn and grow.

EE forever
posted 10-30-23 11:41 AM EDT (US)     44 / 44  
While it is true that the United States has taken on a more prominent global role since World War II, it is also imperative to acknowledge the positive impact it has made on the world. This includes the contributions the US has made to international aid and humanitarian efforts.

In regards to politicians, although there have been instances of corruption, it is crucial to recognize the many dedicated politicians who serve their country and constituents dutifully.

Crime is a serious problem in the United States, but the crime rate has been decreasing in recent years. However, it is still important to address it.

It is also important to acknowledge the contributions that immigrants, whether legal or illegal, have made to American society, particularly those coming from Mexico. Most immigrants are hardworking and contribute positively to their communities, regardless of their legal status.

As a superpower, the United States has a responsibility to act responsibly on the world stage. It's crucial to recognize that the United States is not perfect and has made mistakes in the past. Learning from these mistakes and working towards a better future is vital.

America has many challenges and opportunities. There are issues to tackle, but it's key to avoid oversimplifying and approach them with an open mind, eager to learn and grow.

If you are a true American, you can play a great shooter -Overwatch. and if you need help with anything, you can contact here

[This message has been edited by joefrogi (edited 11-01-2023 @ 08:49 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » EE Community Forum » What is wrong with America?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames