You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: High Seas
posted 09-09-02 06:49 PM EDT (US)   
When playing on an island map should you mostly produce and use airplanes and bombers,ships,amphibious landings,or some combination of the three?
Also what strategies would you use?

[This message has been edited by platinumcow (edited 09-10-2002 @ 04:58 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-11-02 00:48 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
You have to assume that unless you get bombers very early then there will be a large AA welcoming party for you, so avoid too much air.

In WW1/WW2 best to go with ships to take out defences (land based and their navy) plus amphibious landing to finish the job (hit their economy). Doesnt hurt to have some bombers for backup once you are sure the AA defences are suitably weakened. Carrier based planes can also be effective as well. They are quite cheap and if you get the carrier to a safe spot away from your main attack they can be a good distraction, or even go unnoticed as they kill lots of undefended farmers.

Modern, has to involve nuke subs with naval support(something to stop frigates, sea kings and normal subs from killing your nukes), and preferably Library of Alex, so you can hit any building at max range. Also use transport helicopters to bring in the ground troops. It is suprising how easy it can be to sneak in through undefended airspace with choppers.(sometimes even time and time again)

posted 09-11-02 04:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
In the modern age, the most effective way to defeat an enemy is to build up a large naval force of nuke subs, subs, AA ships, and maybe a couple Battleships to take out enemy frigates.

Once you sink the enemy navy, proceed to take out every Naval Yard and Dock he has...you've just beat your enemy.

Once his dock and naval yard are gone, he can't fight back, except for Sea Kings which easily be taken down by AA ships and if you can afford it...some carrier planes.

posted 09-11-02 07:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
I like to use a horde of Hyperions...with about 40 you can pretty much plow through and gut all your opponents...only vulnerable if they enemy has a bunch of nuke subs. So some frigates in addition would be good.
posted 09-12-02 11:23 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
My favourite strat in a 1 vs 1 goes as follows:

Build up massive gold/iron econ, establish a defensive perimiter of Battleships, Sea Kings, and Cruisers.

Mass Carriers (12).

Build 400+ fighter/bombers.

Kill.

It's very effective, lol.

posted 09-12-02 03:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
I used to do that, when I had a lot of time to play a game.

But, I assure you, If you tried that on me. You would find yourself getting attacked with bombers and nuke subs long before you could mass a sufficent amount of f/b to deal with me.

posted 09-12-02 05:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
Since navy seams like the best choice, what kind of ships would you produce more of than others? And if you build a custom navy civ what would the top bonuses be and what would you pick to make your fleet stronger?

"I haven't lost my mind-its on a disk somewhere."
posted 09-12-02 09:49 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
I usually go with cost reduction and range bonuses for my subs.

Range is probably the most important thing when upgrading navy.

posted 09-13-02 08:16 AM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
cost reduction in the primary troop line, and collection bonus in the resource used by that line is my main choices. According to my calculations if you go fighters and bombers exclusively, in tourny low resource tourney mode games, 5 citizen start, but with those bonuses it gives you equal to a 20+ citizen start.
posted 09-13-02 09:03 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
On islands board, most players begin with false sense of security. "They can't rush, there is water!" is the most common misconception on an islands map.

Get up a single dock asap, before even worrying about mining gold or iron. Build a transport. Send a single citizen over to an unchartered section of the enemy island. I advise a place where there aren't any resources, so that the chances of detection are dimished. (btw, good counter to this strategy is to build a few ground troops early on and set them to "explore". if you don't have someone on island exploration, you deserve what you get. )

With one citizen hidden away on thier island, you can build military production buildings and still hit them pretty fast. 9 of 10 players will be "getting thier boom on" when you charge into thier little kingdom with a warband of what-have-you and turn the camp inside out.

What if you build a scout-type unit (ie, sniper set to recon so it doesn't fire) and notice that they are pretty well defended by the time your attack force is there? Well, that one citizen's mission is to screw them up any way you can. Here's some neat tricks:

1. Build walls around resource piles that he's not using! Make him work for his ore.

2. Hit and run squad tactics designed to hurt his economy. It's amazing what 3 or 4 Marines can do to unprotected farmland...

3. Towers by the coasts in areas where his navy will have to pass!

4. Don't forget a temple! If he doesn't have one, there is a good chance of you being able to plague most of his island by targeting lumberjacks (they tend to walk the farthest and all hang out in groups). And the power of a well-placed hurricane will send thier navy to davy jone's locker.

I guess my advice is this: there are no resources in the water (fish aside) and therefore the seas are soley strategic and not tactical. To win you must defeat your opponent on land; it's hard to do that with a navy. Naval troops are good support for land troops, and if he's worried about the troops ON HIS ISLAND you'll be stripping his/her economy away from naval production. That gives you time to build up your economy, prepare wave 2 of the invasion, and send it towards his island. It usually seems to end up that the force hits around the time they just about wiped out wave 1.

Happy hunting.

Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » Strategy Forum » High Seas
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames