You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Resource Gathering Blues
posted 07-21-02 10:39 AM EDT (US)   
I'm a newbie having some trouble. I play vs. computer, and last night I cranked out 140 citizens. The three computer players only had about 60 each. Yet in terms of gathering wood, stone, food, iron, gold, I was only about average. I kept the cits micromanaged pretty well. I even had a custom civ with +15% iron & gold mining & 20% villager speed.

What am I doing wrong? I used mostly settlements for gather points. Is upgrading them to capitals or town centers really that critical so that your gather rate is only 30% or 40% of what it could be without the upgrade? Exactly how much does adding citizens to town centers or capitals help your economy? The manual is very vague on this. Please help...

Thanx.

WoundedKnight

Replies:
posted 07-21-02 08:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
I think the computer cheats, and that is why you aren't economically superior to them.

-I've had capitols with 50 people in them, 6 people working each patch, and STILL could not beat the computers economically.

-I tried conquering another land (was playing on large islands - 3 gold, 3 iron, 2 stone), staffed the capitols and had 6 at each mine. Still no glory.

-Start a random game and have a computer start as an ally. Do nothing but watch your ally. In minutes an entire city is up and running, complete with military buildings. Where'd the wood come from?

-Also, you'll find that even if you have 6 improved granaries with 8 farms each, fully staffed, you'll find that the ally's 2 farms outproduced you (even though the AI seldom hunts on easy mode).

posted 07-22-02 02:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
Yes, the computer cheats like crazy, to "make up" for human ingenuity and its inability to make complex tactical decisions. You can cut down hundreds of their units and flatten everything they have but one town center, and the computer will rebuild in no time. This is especially grating in islands games, when they have ships all over the place early in the match.

This is why I usually never play random map against the computer, unless I'm in one of those moods where I don't care about strategy or tactics and just want to make a huge army and blow stuff up. If I want a single player skirmish I go back to StarCraft or The Conquerors, at least then I know I'm accomplishing something when I raid the computer.

If you do fight the computer, I recommend fighting against more than one, without teams. The computers will throw units at each other behind your back without making a decisive blow, and their power will seem more realistic to the human player.

posted 07-22-02 03:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Yes, upgrading to TCs and then Capitols and then filling the capitols helps a LOT! I recommend doing it whenever you can afford the brief drop in production. I also feel that putting citizens into the farms helps too. You can get away with less farms that way, and thus have more space for military bldgs. Settlements are ok next to only wood, but next to minerals you need capitols with 50 citizens in them.

I am a Grumpy Old Fart (gOf).
ZN=gOf_Marcus Sierra, Gamespy name: gOfMarcus
gOf Home
gOf Public Forum
posted 07-22-02 04:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
It's always worth spending that excess food on populating to capitals if there close to mines.

I think these two articles will help
http://www.imahosting.com/cunning-play/ee/articles.php?id=5 http://www.imahosting.com/cunning-play/ee/articles.php?id=18

The first article is quite indepth and disscusses the exact benefits of populating resources.
Whilst the second article discusses where you might want to place those settlements.

posted 07-25-02 05:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  

Quote:

I think the computer cheats, and that is why you aren't economically superior to them.

u think?? ha! they do cheat!

~\FieryWarhead/~
Comedy is a last resort for Alcoholics.
The FPH_Raider Resistance is futile.
I'm having a bad day. I say this everyday.
l AoMH l RoNH l EEH l
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » Strategy Forum » Resource Gathering Blues
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames