You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Aint yer daddy's AoE2, thats for sure..
posted 07-05-02 05:57 AM EDT (US)   
I have always played coop games with a friend of mine agaisnt a few pcs on AoE2 and did just fine, sure we lost here and there but overall did good. Theres just no chance in this game seems like, "YOUR UNDER ATTACK" as soon as you build walls! Ive tried cranking up the starting stuff/cranking down to "easy", it doesnt matter, its definitely not "easy" at all, we are still struggling to keep heads above water!! Just played a 2hr Industrial age game(fired up from watching The Patriot) that i finally just resigned, there was no use the enemy onslaugt just battered me into no morale after 1:45 of one step forward 2 steps back. What am i missing here, is there a good "beginner" or basic strategy that is pretty universal for just getting a solid game going?? Should i play Noahs Ark style and build 10 of everything?? How to repair damaged cannons and such? Maybe I need to run thru the complete 1 player game first or somthing
Replies:
posted 07-05-02 07:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
I just started playing this game again, after only having played two or three games as soon as the game was released.

The AI can be a real hassle early on, but there are some pointers. Try playing on tournament defensive settings at first. I recommend tournament islands, you won't get rushed as early as on plains for instance.

Use your starting stone to build a tower and several houses, start foraging and hunting like a madman
Get up a barracks asap and build about 6 clubmen or spearmen. A strategist leader and/or a prophet can really turn an otherwise sure loss into a victory.

I find bronze and renaissance the best epochs to try and finish the game. If you let the AI boom all the way to Atomic, you'll probably be in for a nasty surprise

I've had the AI changing units the whole time, when I countered his tanks with AT helicopters, it then send stingers and fighters, ouch!
My F-14's had died because both my carriers got nuked, so my helicopters were hopelessly lost unless I retreated them, in which case my whole forward base would get steamrolled by tanks, LOL.

"It has been difficult because we have so often been on the attack and not had the opportunity to defend" Yannick Jauzion.
posted 07-08-02 02:14 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
the best thing is really not to the computer at all, it's no fun because beating it doesn't mean you outstrategized it

it just means you crushed it in under 30 seconds(and if you don't do it that fast it rebuilds everything)

if you can beat it that fast it's no longer any fun either

Anarchy_Balsac(owner of Anarchy clan in ee)
posted 07-10-02 06:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
The most important thing to remember about the computer is that its edge can not be exploited if there is not buildings to produce units to spend his good bounty on. With this in mind never attack towers or universities or houses. Always attack barracks the citizens and the troops if attacked. Use prophets all the time to reduce their armies to 1 hitpoint. Also make sure that they have no temples to guard themselves against any prophet rush. I don't care what age your in 3-5 prophets can level an untempled town within minutes with a little support. Finally, against the computer and any opponent throw everything at him and keep building armies.
posted 07-11-02 02:02 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
but if even 1 citizen escapes it will rebuild everything

Anarchy_Balsac(owner of Anarchy clan in ee)
posted 07-12-02 09:13 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
that is why you build library wonder =)
posted 07-18-02 04:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
Quick and Dirty:
Build about 10 barracks, paying no attention to defense. Tell each Barracks to build around 20 of the strongest unit avaiable. Then, switch to the archery, stable, or tank factory. do the same thing with one of them, preferably building a ranged unit. This time, however,make 15 of the unit per building. upgrade the HP, Attack, Range, and armor of your troops in that order of priority. After this, make two seige factories building 5 of the best ranged unit. Once that is done concentrate on air support, don't waste time with anyhting that can't attack both land and air. build about 20 planes. Control Click them to your enemy's base. ( control clicking tells your units to kill everything in their path. They ignore walls if they can get around them, but everything else pretty much gets killed.) this will allow you to get a feel for their defenses and to cause preliminary damage. Once they are ahlfway there, control click the rest of your troops to the enemy's base. While this is going on you should continue to build more troops, using up the body of your resourses. This may also be a good time for you to focus on some small defenses. I hope this helps you. Keep in mind that it isn't the most fulfilling strategy but it usually gets the computer.

[This message has been edited by LAertes (edited 07-18-2002 @ 04:36 PM).]

posted 07-18-02 06:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
The computer is simply a pest because it never dies quickly. I remember trying to get 3:30 inf and attacking the computer, just to see that he has about a wall spanning half the lenght of a tiny map a couple towers and assorted military buildings. So simply don't rush the computer, and just build a big enough force to control one area, and then build more buildings in that area, 'claiming the land' and keep on expanding and taking, especially if your playing standard where towers are very strong. But then if you try and play a human like that, you will most likely be wiped because they will rush you, or something like that.
posted 07-18-02 07:38 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
The only way to defeat the computer is a long drawn out effort at wearing it down, followed by an incredibly hard attack which covers much of the map an annihilates it before it can recover. Because it builds up so fast at the start that rushing is impossible.

I am The Ace of Blades...the last and greatest of the Blademasters...
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » Strategy Forum » Aint yer daddy's AoE2, thats for sure..
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames