You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

EE Scenario Design & Modding
Moderated by Soty

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: FULL list of "Attack Modes" values for units in hex.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-27-13 05:38 AM EDT (US)   
UPDATE 1/20/16: Forlins has figured out EXACTLY what these values do, and why some of them affect only certain families, I will copy-paste:

"CRITICAL HIT!!! I discovered what "Attack mode" in dbobject.dat actually is!!

It's the index of the multiplier in the dbfamily table!!!
Take the Stinger or Missile trooper unit: they have AttackMode 07 00 00 00.
Now go to the table I'm building, go to the first multiplier (just right of family ID) and count from 0. The number 7 is... their multiplier!!
Repeat with Sampson/Ram: their attack mode is 13 00 00 00 (19 in decimal). Go to the 19th multiplier in the dbfamily table... yes, that's right!

Essentially, when a unit is attacked, the game compare the attacker "attack mode" with the target "family".
Example: a Spearman hit a Clubman. Spearman has attack mode 35 (53 in decimal) and Clubman belong to the "Human Sword" family, so the game open dbfamily, go to "Human Sword" and take the 53th multiplier!"
Forum topic here, comment #180:
http://ee.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=3&tn=38150&f=3,,0,365&st=150

Thanks to the microsoft word document "200864222055 (NOT from BOOST15673).doc" included in my realism mod's file I found out the "attack mode" location of Hyperion 1. As helpful as this guide is, it is incomplete. Observe below, using Hyperion 1's "attack mode" value. I have changed it to EVERY single hex number from "00" - "FF" to see what combinations come out. Below is a 100% COMPLETE list of different "attack modes", which can be used, seemingly, for ANY unit in EE!! YOU'RE WELCOME!

P.S. - Attack Mode is simply what type of units it can attack.

P.S.S. - There seem to be no other possible "attack modes" besides these denoted below. For example, I could not get a value to make a unit attack nothing but wild animals.

Here is the screenshot of where Hyperion 1's "attack mode" is located, this single value:

Fires at NOTHING AT ALL!:
24, 25, 3B, 3C, 42, 43, 6A, 6B, 81, 82, 88, 89, B0, B1, C7, C8, CE, CF, DB, DD, E4, F6, F7

Fires at air units only Values:
07, 0C, 4D, 52, 98

Fires at ground units only Values:
E5

Fires at subs only Values:
09, 4F, 95

Fires at space units only Values:
3F, 41, 85, 87, CB, CD, D9, DE

Fires at ships only Values:
0B, 51, 97

Fires at buildings only Values:
13, 59, 9F

Fires at ground and subs only Values:
1A

Fires at ground and wild animals only Values:
14, 5A, 5B, A0

Fires at subs and ships units only Values:
12, 58, 9E

Fires at space and buildings only Values:
3D, 83, C9

Fires at ground, buildings and wild animals only Values:
08, 33, 4E, 79, 94, BF

Fires at ground, ships and wild animals only Values:
1E, 64, AA

Fires at ground, ships and buildings only Values:
2F, 75, BB

Fires at air, ground, ship and building units only Values:
28, 29, 3A, 6E, 6F, 80, B4, B5, C6

Fires at air, sub, ship and building units only Values:
F0

Fires at ground, ships, buildings, wild animals units only Values:
00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 0A, 0D, 0E, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1B, 1C, 1F, 21, 22, 26, 27, 2A, 2B, 2D, 2E, 30, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 46, 48, 49, 4A, 4B, 4C, 50, 53, 54, 56, 57, 5C, 5D, 5E, 5F, 61, 62, 65, 67, 68, 6C, 6D, 70, 71, 73, 74, 76, 77, 7A, 7B, 7C, 7D, 7E, 7F, 8C, 8E, 8F, 90, 91, 92, 93, 96, 99, 9A, 9C, 9D, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A7, A8, AB, AD, AE, B2, B3, B6, B7, B9, BA, BC, BD, C0, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5

Fires at ships, subs, ground and buildings only Values:
01, 47, 8D, D3

Fires at air, ground, ships, buildings and wild animals only Values:
0F, 1D, 20, 23, 32, 55, 63, 66, 69, 78, 9B, A9, AC, AF, BE

Fires at air, ground, subs, ships, buildings units only Values:
D2, D4, D5, D6, D7, D8, DA, DC, DF, E0, E2, E3, E6, E7, E8, E9, EA, EB, EC, ED, EE, EF, F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F8, F9, FC, FD, FE, FF

Fires at ground, subs, ships, buildings and wild animals units only Values:
1A, 2C, 60, 72, A6, B8

Fires at air, ground, subs, space, ships and buildings only Values:
E1

Fires at ground, subs, space, ships and buildings units only Values:
FA, FB

Fires at air, ground, space, ships, buildings and wild animals only Values:
3E, 84, CA

Fires at air, ground, subs, space, ships, buildings and wild animals (basically everything) only Values:
40, 44, 45, 86, 8A, 8B, CC, D0, D1

[This message has been edited by BOOST15673 (edited 01-20-2016 @ 08:38 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-27-13 06:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 39  
Well, THANK YOU!

I know this may have been asked a couple of times in the past, but is there any chance we can have 2 points of attacks, like those of the Command Unit?

My Profile in Empire Earth || Latest Submissions Two Flags: Battle for Africa ||Jun 2023
My Profile in Age of Kings || Latest Submission Shadows of Betrayal || August 2012
AOK Designer of the Year 2012
Core Team Member & Site Co-Administrator,Empire Creations
posted 05-27-13 08:27 AM EDT (US)     2 / 39  
That's a useful guide!

I was creating something like this myself, but I get bothered around the 2E value! (I still have the file, if you want to take a look)

In my tests, I've found 2 more informations:
1) for value 24 you found: "can't hit nothing". Instead, i've found: "can only hit cyborgs (all them)".
2) The attack mode not only influences "who" can hit, but also the damage multiplier: try to shot a building with values 23 and 28, and check the differences! Even if 2 values fires at the same targets, they will do different damages.

NOTE: towers seems to have a separated multiplier from buildings. EXAMPLE: Test this annotation for value 2C:
"Totally ineffective against Buildings, Tanks, Siege and Cyborg units.
Instead, more damage against Towers, Space Towers and AA Towers"

WHAT IS DONE, IS DONE

[This message has been edited by Forlins (edited 05-27-2013 @ 08:30 AM).]

posted 05-27-13 12:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 39  
@shieldwolf23 Hmm, never heard or for this fact SAW any posts asking about this ever! 2 points of attack? You mean like how the Command Unit's laser does nothing, whereas the rockets do damage? If you mean that, I am sure it is possible. See those 3 "00"'s next to Hyperion 1's "Attack Mode" value? I have not tested it myself, but it MAY be reserved for extra attack types. May even be possible to combine attacks this way...

@Forlins Sure, send the file to me at joe00172@gmail.com! Oh no seriously? You mean there's MORE?! Dude, I didn't know there was such a thing for even more specific units. I didn't know there were hex values that decided if it affects Mechs, Siege Units, Tanks, etc.! I thought they'd be categorized as ground units! Oh dang... All this hard work for nothing, this guide is incomplete now... ARGH WHY?! I did not know this also affects damage multipliers. Hmm, have any theories on what the 3 "00"'s after Hyperion's "Attack Mode" are there for?
posted 05-27-13 01:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 39  
It's an excel (open office) file with .ods extension.
If you need another format let me know

WHAT IS DONE, IS DONE
posted 05-27-13 03:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 39  
Yes, I have never heard of this extension, so yes please.
posted 05-27-13 06:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 39  
Thank you very much, very useful for this information.
posted 05-28-13 00:55 AM EDT (US)     7 / 39  
Oh, I thought the laser damages units too, albeit smaller.

You modders should really communicate more often, I could only imagine what wonders you've discovered all by your individual selves!

My Profile in Empire Earth || Latest Submissions Two Flags: Battle for Africa ||Jun 2023
My Profile in Age of Kings || Latest Submission Shadows of Betrayal || August 2012
posted 05-28-13 03:58 AM EDT (US)     8 / 39  
@shieldwolf23 I could be wrong though, I never once used the Command Unit myself, nor really knew it existed until recently! The laser can't be there for distraction I would think. Distract human players? Yes. Distract the automated game functions aka distract military units from attacking it? Impossible. Hmm...

Haha, I think the reason we find these great things on our own is because we don't have a deadline or a force to do it! I don't know how it is by the others, but by me, I like to never tell anybody what I am doing, so that I don't have people waiting if it's something useful like this!
posted 06-03-13 02:41 PM EDT (US)     9 / 39  
nice list! it will certainly be useful

EE Projects:
Cyborg - Dbobjects hexing started
Predator - Demo out, on hold, waiting feedback
posted 06-03-13 03:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 39  
WOW, never thought I'd be told something I do could be useful from YOU! Thanks man, this gives me hope that it really will come in handy!
posted 06-03-13 04:35 PM EDT (US)     11 / 39  
Right now you probably can help me more with hexing than i can help anyone, its been a long time, i can't remember most stuff. all i know is basically what i uploaded....

EE Projects:
posted 06-03-13 05:37 PM EDT (US)     12 / 39  
Don't worry about it, I don't mind temporarily switching roles. Well, I did however take screenshots of where the specific values are for every ground unit. What I mean is the values for "can't travel through forests", "can't climb mountains" "can't travel through water" <- Though only Mechs.

I must admit, without the help of some guide that I have no idea where I got from/who's it is I would've never found these values to begin with.

Could it be that you did not take note of a lot of things, or is it just that the hexing I am doing is more varied than yours in your time?
posted 06-03-13 06:14 PM EDT (US)     13 / 39  
i didn't take note of most things

you also probably have tried different things than i did, most of my research was for my own project the cyborg, so i searched for quite specific things i wanted to change

my original method was quite crude to begin with, l switched the whole unit with the one that works the way i want and then changed back enough values till it had the proprieties from the original i wanted to maintain.

this was particulary unproductive in dbgraphics, when you change models and game crashes, id go to dbgraphics and copy the most values i could till it worked fine, isnt a very exact method, but it did work! the problem is that i didnt learn much of what did what in dbgraphics :P

hope to keep hearing from you! this kind of list is extremely helpful. for new hexers to learn, for current hexers to have a guideline, and for future hexers to have our little knowledge and keep improving on it!
When i started i had almost nothing to learn from! my knowledge came from a word file i found on a chinese forum using google translate and from a civilization hexing tutorial!

when you came you had more to start with that was my main objective, see how much we have improved. in my time i was the only Hex guy... that sucked :P so, congratulations and keep trying new things! and don't make the same mistake i did, take note of your findings! for your good, and for the good of the community

EE Projects:
posted 06-03-13 09:52 PM EDT (US)     14 / 39  
Same here, I am only searching for and asking help for things that apply to my realism mod. Only since it is modding the entire game (except graphics and such), I guess it is expected to be a lot more done on my end.

Haha taking the easy way out I see? I am just like you, just sometimes there are things that really nobody knows, then I must somehow figure it out myself which usually fails horribly haha.

The way I began was well, I am embarrassed to say, but was super cheap. I literally refused to do anything, I wanted everybody to do everything for me, it worked for the beginning, but after a while I realized that they aren't ALL gods like you and Ashrzr are/were. Luckily I took note of the things people did for me, and that is how I eventually started my first release of my realism mod back in September 2011.

The only guy? DANG that truly does suck. Well there are a few more now. Me, Forlins, Darkonen, alfrqan, we all frequent the forums. Only I have a hard time communicating with them sometimes due to English not being their first language

My goal with hex-editing is simple. Make it for others as I wanted it! What I mean is, I wanted to be lazy and have everybody do it all for me. Sooo, what I am doing is taking screenshots and taking notes of EVERYTHING I possibly can, so that when a beginner hexer starts, he has many many screenshots and notes to "cheat" his way to knowing exactly which values do what by which units and such. This'll take years to complete, but I'm only 17, I have time!
posted 06-04-13 01:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 39  
I feel bad for having never made a guide. I figured out so many things that I later forgot and never got to pass on.

EE forever
posted 06-04-13 01:36 PM EDT (US)     16 / 39  
ARGH! Why is it always the best of things in this world that never take note of there work? I personally do not mind. The reason I take note of everything is due to my "lack" of short-term memory. This is a necessity to take notes, or else I'd never be able to do my Realism Mod! Well Ashrzr, if you ever think of some things, no matter what, that you haven't already told me or the forums, feel free to send me an email at anytime to joe00172@gmail.com I can take note of this for you and then just credit you and thus "write it in stone".

What I am wondering though, do you and JCGF have any successors to follow you up in terms of knowledge and/or enthusiasm for hexing?
posted 06-05-13 09:02 AM EDT (US)     17 / 39  
im hoping you become our sucessor and pass the knowledge to someone else

EE Projects:
posted 06-05-13 08:45 PM EDT (US)     18 / 39  
Well in terms of notes and screenshots, I'm way ahead of you guys! In terms of knowledge, still got quite a bit to learn
I will see what I can do along with the others that still frequent here. Well I have a good start with a stickied topic!
posted 07-28-13 02:35 AM EDT (US)     19 / 39  
This list is very useful, really, Boost. I have started hexing for myself, and did quite good with it lately, for the last 2 days. I'll be soon posting an Excel file based on the things I have seen, and maybe requesting help from you and the others to fill things up. I've started on a World War I and World War 2 modification. Wish me luck.

posted 07-28-13 02:32 PM EDT (US)     20 / 39  
However, I must update this because Forlins did a better job at this, I just got it posted here earlier than him. You see, I didn't know how many families EE has, let alone what is what family, so this list is sadly incomplete. I mean you have Mechs, Tanks, Siege Weapons, etc. There are (I THINK) at least 20 or 30 different families, maybe even more. I only realized this after posting this, and after it got stickied... Haha now I'm gonna get sued for a misleading title hehe!

Oh but of course, me & Forlins seem to be the most active hexers here at the moment. alfrqan, Darkonen, Ashrzr & JCGF are, well I dunno where they are. They just peek in every now and then, hmm...

Good luck! Boy I can only imagine in a few years from now "shieldwolf23 Trigger AND Hexing God" Forlins already overtook me, at least in my opinion, so now I have to battle it out against him AND you All I can say is "Friendly Rivalry FTW!"

P.S. - I could give you my email address if you like. You could send me any and all questions you have if need be. Trust me, it's a fact that my patience, and my toleration for annoying stuffs is just as hard as Zeus II's Titanium Armoring. You'll die of old age before annoying me

[This message has been edited by BOOST15673 (edited 07-28-2013 @ 02:33 PM).]

posted 07-29-13 01:17 AM EDT (US)     21 / 39  
Hahaha... Thank you for the support! Yes, I have found some of the values in the list are not applicable to certain families (like the list for "attacking all", when applied to Ships, will make those ships totally unable to attack anything). Still, the values made it far more easier and quicker for me.

EDIT:

Here's the link of the file I made in Excel for an easy reference. I think that all units in the dbobjects.dat has the same position for all of its values. I'm using Hex workshop, with 15 columns. To use as reference, I use coordinates to find the values I'm looking for. Any chance you could update me on the coordinates of the values you've found?

http://www.mediafire.com/?5u6s5n1j02buct3

[This message has been edited by shieldwolf23 (edited 07-29-2013 @ 06:02 AM).]

posted 07-29-13 12:17 PM EDT (US)     22 / 39  
Showing what values I've found is a little tricky. You see, I highlight each value, then take a screenshot, and label what it is on the picture name. For example "Command Unit 'Transport Capacity' Value" or "Command Unit 'Start & End Epochs' Value". I have a whole gigantic folder filled with all these values for all units. BUT, only values that I required by far!

So err, unless you want me to upload this giant folder, I have no way of telling you where the other values are. I do not do it "generalized" like with the guide I found from here in 2011. I like to make it the way I want it aka "I can't follow this guide, I am not that smart ya know. Just tell me where the damn value is!" Seriously, that's how I was when I start back in 2011, and that's how I keep track of everything.

I mean, gotta make it as simple as possible right?
posted 07-29-13 02:48 PM EDT (US)     23 / 39  
Well, if you do wish to make it simple, you can check out my excel file. it uses the coordinates, and as far as I know, all values are in the same place (dbobjects speaking). Using the Hex Workshop, you select the start of the object name, up until the last code before the next object, CTRL+N for a new file, and CTRL+V to place the highlighted codes. That way, each and every object has the values plotted on the same place, it's just a matter of locating where the values are in the coordinates system.

If this is a bother though, I'd be grateful if you could forward to me the folder that shows:

(1) location of the Range and Speed values (just one example screenshot)

(2) any chance of us having non-transport units be able to have transport capacities?

(3) any chance of allowing non-military units to have attack (like an engineer or a transport helicopter)?

(4) an engineer to be able to repair tanks and vehicles

posted 07-29-13 04:34 PM EDT (US)     24 / 39  
1) For range, look at this JCFG picture. It does display the speed, but not the range (not yet discovered in those days).

There are some new values I discovered, not showed in that picture:
Do you see the HP value at the top? At the same line, third column [00 00 00 00] is the MIN range (used by siege units who can't attack close targets). The next value (the last column) [00 00 40 40] is the MAX range (This is what you're looking for). The nexts value (Just under the HP value) [00 00 80 40] is the LOS value. The next value is the the Area of effect (those bytes are very strange for all units who don't have AOE)

If you want to change these values, you must pay attention: they are not linear! They are all calculated in the same way: look at this post for more info. It talks for Range, but it applies to all of them

For the speed: his behaviour (IMO) is similar (if not the same) of the above values: 19 is the base and 3F (consider them as separated) are respectively multiplier and exponent. As I stated in the "range" post, the exponent part is a little strange, but nothing to worry about.

For 2), 3) and 4), I've already tried them in the past without success...

WHAT IS DONE, IS DONE

[This message has been edited by Forlins (edited 07-29-2013 @ 04:56 PM).]

posted 07-29-13 04:36 PM EDT (US)     25 / 39  
(1) The Range values are QUITE tricky for me to pinpoint exactly. There is multiple values that must be combined in order to create the range (Probably because height and width?) Anyways, I haven't found the unit range for anybody yet, according to my pictures at least. At the moment it is a bit confusing for me either way since I am very bad at math, I may end up just using triggers in my realism mod. BUT, I shall copy and paste some comments out of a related topic that may help you:

From Ashrzr (January 8th 2013):

The Range values are strange. From my days of creating EEv2, if I remember correctly A0 40 is 5, 80 40 is 6, C0 40 is 7, 00 41 is 8, etc. It was something weird like that. The Range, LOS, and firing rate bytes are all in that order toward the beginning of the dbobjects data for each unit (I can't remember the exact locations but they're easy to find).

For that Hand Cannoneer, for example, the 00 41's all correspond to those three values (and happen to be the same). I have no idea why the Range/LOS aren't simply the numbers reflected in the game, but they're still easy to change through swapping.

To change the range of the unit, just swap the Range bytes with a unit who has the Range that you want to change it to.

From Ashrzr (January 9th 2013):

I've messed around with the numbers a little bit and found a pattern.

Hexadecimal is base 16. When you convert A0 40, which is 5 Range, to base 10 (normal numbers), you get 16544. When you convert C0 40, which is 6 Range, you get 16576. It seems that Range increments by 32 in base 10.

For example, A0 40 is 16544 in base 10. So if you want the Hex equivalent of 4 Range for EE, subtract 32 from that to get 16512. Converted to base 16, that is 80 40. Using this form of calculation, you should be able to get any Range you want.

From Forlins (February 5th 2013):

By reading the previous posts about the range, it seems that the range increase by 20 (in HEX).
So, if I have C0 40 and increase it to E0 40, the range increase by 1, right?

If it work this way, it is simple! just increase the first char of 2, and if it reach 0, just increase the last one by 1!
And who cares about the second and third ones!

Also, it seems that sometimes, the value is increased by 10, without any effect.

As example, take:
Tower digital (00 41 == 8)
Sharpshooter (10 41 == 8 or 8.5?)
Tower laser (20 41 == 9)
Sniper (30 41 == 9 or 9.5?)

I've tried a confrontation Sniper vs Tower Laser, and it seems their range is equal, while the sniper value is 10 (16 in decimal) higher than the tower one.
I've increased the both values by 10 (0.5 in game) and the sniper's range increase to 10, while the tower's one didn't, because it only take integer values.

The LOS, instead consider every value. I've moved the sniper, so the tower is barely in his LOS. I saved the game, decreased the value by 10 and, when loading, the tower wasn't in his LOS anymore. Take only 2-3 steps to make it reappear.

BUT

After some tries I found the real formula for the range (well, not the entire formula, but I'm very close).
BAD NEWS: It's an exponential formula!
EXPLANATION: Let's set the four digits to this: 00 40
The range will be 2
Let's change the 40 to 41. The range increase to 8.
Let's change the 41 to 42. The range increase to 32.
With 43 it increase to 128,
With 44 it increase to 512 and so on... (do you notice something? a x4 everytime, isn't it?)

So the fourth digit is an exponent! And the base is the third!

NOW THE FORMULA:
First let's call the 4 chars "A" "B" "C" "D" (same order as they appear in the file)
Essentially, the range is calculated exponentially with AB, and the value range between 2 * C^D and 2 * C^(D+1).

So if you use 40 for CD, the range will be a value between 2*(4^0)=2 and 2*(4^1)=8.
With 41, it will be between 8 and 32
With 42, it will be between 32 and 128 and so on...

In the first example, I use 00 40:
The value is between 2 and 8, and since we used the min value 00, the range is the min => 2
If you increase the value, you'll notice that with 80 (127 in decimal), the range is still 4. So with the first 80, the range only increase by 2. The remaining 80 will increase the value by 4 ==> EXPONENTIAL

In few words:
The minimum range is 2 * C^D. The maximum range is 2 * C^(D+1).
The range is calculated by AB with a formula SIMILAR TO THIS:
Min + (Max-Min+1)^AB^(1/255)-1

255 (or FF) is the maximum possible value for AB. so if AB = 255 the 2 exponent will nullify each other, and the formula will return the max value.

Something weird: I've set the value to FF 3F (1 less the value 00 40), and the result is 2. So even with smaller values the range fall down. With a value of 80 3F, the range was 1 and the upgrade button for the range was disabled. Then I notice that any melee unit has a range of 00 3F.
So my opinion is: the game simply threat the 3F as a 3^-1. So the range is between 2*(4^-1)=1/2 and 2*(4^0)=2
I think that when the range is 1, the units is considered a melee units (so you can't upgrade the range), but the range stat still display if is greater than the min value = 1/2.

That's all

(2) YES! As stated I got the Command Unit to have a Transport Capacity. BUT, no units can be stored in it. There is at least one more value that must be tweaked:

(3) YEP! But they most likely won't attack at all seeing as how the animation and what not is missing. But the good news is the game won't crash! Here, this is the attack value for the Palisade Wall

(4) That is interesting, I am 100% sure it'll work, BUT, I haven't found ANY "Define what to repair" kinda values for any unit at all yet. So this is possible I would believe, but I have no proof as of yet, sorry.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » EE Scenario Design & Modding » FULL list of "Attack Modes" values for units in hex.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames