Empire Earth 3 General Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Two Empire Earth 3 Reviews out
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-17-07 06:27 AM EDT (US)   
Finnaly some reviews are out for this 'dispapointing' game the first by Gamespot.

The review may be seen as some what harsh with it's rating of 3.5, but it more than justifies all it's points, and I fear about 75% of people will agree with the review. The main criticisms are mostly of the unstable game engine, modest graphics despite heavy system requirements, the game being dummed down so much and mediocre voice acting.
Heres a quotes

"We could get into the derivative, buggy multiplayer, the frequent crashes, and the demanding system requirements that bring a Crysis-conquering system to its knees, but what's the point? Earlier Empire Earth games were acquired tastes that not everybody liked. Now, in an attempt to reach out to the masses, the developer has given us a game that nobody will like"

IGN gave another disapointing review, but more higher than the gamespot one, giving it 5.4, saying how poor the gameplay was, and how you were expecting really good graphics, but they're more than dissapointing.
Heres a quote:

"The animations aren't very good and the performance leaves a lot to be desired"

Edit: Just noticed another review this time by Gamespy Cor there all coming out at once arn't they? This review gives it a rating of 2 out of 5. Stating how disapointing it is compared with the previous two.

"The original was named GameSpy's 2001 Game of the Year, thanks to a huge scope and the best RTS editing tools available at the time. The sequel, while perhaps overly complex, was still a fantastic title catering to hardcore players. Unfortunately, Empire Earth III has little to offer strategy fans of any disposition. Some of the hallmarks of the series have been stripped away in an effort to simplify the game"

The average of these three reviews coming too 4.3, as I don't have the full game, I don't think im in any position to state my opinion of if the reviews are fair. But judging from the demo i've played I have to agree with either Gamespots review or Gamespys.

Anyway, Discuss!

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant
"I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD" - Ashrzr defending himself from paedophile charges.

Scenario designer for Empire Earth and Empire Creations
1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
President of EEH, alongside Ashrzr (FILM DUDE!)

[This message has been edited by A Banned User (edited 11-17-2007 @ 06:36 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-20-07 05:01 PM EDT (US)     26 / 52  
Thats why you can post one thread, or have it in one post.

From CoC:
Miscellaneous

* Do not post negative posts and discussions that are repeated over and over and over with no other purpose than to disrupt conversation. If you feel the need to say something, say it once and then move on. Do not disrupt multiple threads in order to get your view out.
Spamming

* “Flooding” the forum with similar meaning messages
Perfectly OK to say you hate the game, but, as I've been saying all along, say it once.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 11-20-07 05:48 PM EDT (US)     27 / 52  
Perfectly OK to say you hate the game, but, as I've been saying all along, say it once.
Seems your awful busy enforcing the CoC to the letter, only when it suits you.

Now it just so happens that i was told you blatantly turned a blind eye to an extreme negative occurance, when it was against electrifying, maybe i should ask him for the e-mail transscript where you even appologized for your tyrrany?

A good advice, don't be so extremely 'enforcing happy', specially when it's actually a reversed situation, where you actually want's to damge the forumers/customers by trying to make them buy a bad product, where people posting 'negative posts' actually do their fellow forumers a big fat favor, by warning them against a bad product.

Thanks.
posted 11-20-07 05:58 PM EDT (US)     28 / 52  
Seems your awful busy enforcing the CoC to the letter, only when it suits you.
Actually, you will find I'm fairly lax. However, people were saying that I had no business to tell them not to spam the forums with the negative comments. I felt I should say exactly why I was asking them to stop. A strict moderator would have already taken real action.
maybe i should ask him for the e-mail transcript where you even apologized for your tyranny?
I don't recall apologizing for my "tyranny". We both realized we didn't understand what the other was saying, if I recall correctly.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 11-20-07 06:06 PM EDT (US)     29 / 52  
Let me quote your last e-mail on topic "forgive and forget?
" that's a mild appology.
posted 11-20-07 06:17 PM EDT (US)     30 / 52  
That still doesn't mean I apologized for my "tyranny". I also see that you haven't gotten over a mild debate that happened over a month ago. It gives me a bit of insight on your maturity level and does no justice to your arguments.

posted 11-20-07 06:19 PM EDT (US)     31 / 52  
Please, maybe i should report you as a bad staff, discriminating people.

And right now you do nothing but generate a bad enviroment here, by attacking people on their person.

Please don't stoop down to such purile lvl of communication.

[This message has been edited by Age of Sails (edited 11-20-2007 @ 06:22 PM).]

posted 11-20-07 06:22 PM EDT (US)     32 / 52  
By all means, you have the right if you think I was doing something wrong. Now, please let this drop because this thread started out fine, and I don't want to lock it for the rest of the people using these forums.

posted 11-20-07 08:27 PM EDT (US)     33 / 52  
That rule of the CoC still doesn't necessarily address/diminish everything. Because everyone in the whole forum could post their dislikes and that would flood the forums. There's problems with that, because people could feel left out, and the fact that the CoC is worded like state it and move on, that makes people feel left out and like their opinion doesn't matter. That's partly what these forums should be, is a discussion, and in discussions you see opinions quite often.

EE forever
posted 11-20-07 09:48 PM EDT (US)     34 / 52  
You are very right, and thats why nobody here has anything set on their records. The CoC is mildly open to interpretation, but since people were complaining, I was just showing that it does completely back me up.

posted 11-20-07 11:16 PM EDT (US)     35 / 52  
mehh just ban this age of sails fellow I don't much like him sails might as well show your true colors huh XD

Anyways I'm not getting this game.

The whole sea was ours, and, with all the gates of the horizon open, real peace and freedom were wafted down from the firmament itself. It was as though the fresh salt tang in the air, and all the blue purity that surrounded us had washed and cleansed both body and soul.
posted 11-21-07 01:29 AM EDT (US)     36 / 52  
mehh just ban this age of sails fellow I don't much like him sails
I'd rather not.

posted 11-21-07 08:04 AM EDT (US)     37 / 52  
No, why don't you pope4U get banned, by out of nowhere want Age of Sails banned? This is a discussion board, not a hate board.

And please mr GoSailing, give pope4U a warning. Thanks

[This message has been edited by electrifying (edited 11-21-2007 @ 08:05 AM).]

posted 11-21-07 10:46 AM EDT (US)     38 / 52  
No, why don't you pope4U get banned, by out of nowhere want Age of Sails banned? This is a discussion board, not a hate board.

And please mr GoSailing, give pope4U a warning. Thanks
So, you want to give pope a warning Pope for using his opinion? Ever heard of free speech?
He was justified to say Age of Sails should be banned, since he's been having a go at GoSailing On my thread....

And with that off my chest,
Now lets please could out the rubbish before Mr GoSailing has to lock this thread. As it's got completely offtopic.

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant
"I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD" - Ashrzr defending himself from paedophile charges.

Scenario designer for Empire Earth and Empire Creations
1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
President of EEH, alongside Ashrzr (FILM DUDE!)
posted 11-21-07 11:20 AM EDT (US)     39 / 52  
A Banned User, sorry but..

Free speec < HG's CoC
posted 11-21-07 12:06 PM EDT (US)     40 / 52  
Just include free speech as the first ammendment ever to the CoC.

EE forever
posted 11-21-07 01:12 PM EDT (US)     41 / 52  
No, why don't you pope4U get banned, by out of nowhere want Age of Sails banned?
Find a place in the CoC that says he deserves it, and I'll consider it. However, I'll show him the same leniency I've shown both your accounts with your continuing attacks against me. That leniency is wearing very thin, though.
This is a discussion board, not a hate board.
Then please, follow your own advice and let this thread be free from posts concerning me or you. This is to everybody, even people who weren't part of the conversation. One more post about this, and the thread is locked. I'm sorry if they screw up the thread for you, Banned.

EDIT: Electrifying, you can quote the CoC in one post if you think you have a case on Pope, but add no commentary.

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 11-21-2007 @ 01:13 PM).]

posted 11-22-07 03:15 AM EDT (US)     42 / 52  
I read some of the reviews when they came out and decided to wait and think before I comment, lest I be unjustly harsh on the game. However, I still find myself agreeing with the negative reviews. I haven't played the game. Fifty dollars seems a bit much for a game that looks...

That said, I've followed the series closely since playing EE and EEII. In the hope of offering some insight, I'd like to start out by saying that I'm getting the impression that Empire Earth II Heaven is simply glossing over the bad reviews. That is to say, all of them. Looking at WiC Heaven and AoE III Heaven as examples, the latest reviews were posted in the main thread. At this Heaven, the closest thing to a review post was a reference.

Everyone can have their preference, but I think it would be good to bear in mind that this site owes nothing to Empire Earth III. There is no reason to defend it from the criticism that, to me at least, seems due.
posted 11-22-07 11:53 AM EDT (US)     43 / 52  
Hey, General. I wasn't aware you got EE3.
I read some of the reviews when they came out and decided to wait and think before I comment, lest I be unjustly harsh on the game. However, I still find myself agreeing with the negative reviews. I haven't played the game. Fifty dollars seems a bit much for a game that looks...
You coming into it with an open mind is all we could ask for. If you can't enjoy the game, thats perfectly fine.
In the hope of offering some insight, I'd like to start out by saying that I'm getting the impression that Empire Earth II Heaven is simply glossing over the bad reviews.
Like we don't admit that the game isn't what we expected? I admit that. I was disappointed with the game, but I'm still going to play it. The reviews don't focus on any of the strategy that can be present, though I don't deny almost any flaw they may name. And believe me, we were having plenty of discussion of the negative reviews and things with the game *sighs*.

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 11-22-2007 @ 11:56 AM).]

posted 11-22-07 02:22 PM EDT (US)     44 / 52  
Another batch of reviews:

Gamona.de: 78%

Gameswelt.de: 72%

1up.com: 5.0 out of 10

GameDaily.com: 5 out of 10

Gamepyre.com: 50 out of 100

I think it's quite interesing how the German reviews average about 75% while the game stand at 47% on metacrtic. Not totally suprising given the success of the first Empire Earth in Germany, but still enough to make me wonder - and wish I'd taken German in school.

If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.
posted 11-22-07 03:06 PM EDT (US)     45 / 52  
If you want to read the German reviews, you can go to a free translation site. This particular one, though I haven't used it before, seems to have an option to translate a whole site if you input the URL.

posted 11-22-07 03:43 PM EDT (US)     46 / 52  
Boy I guess people haven't heard of sarcasm and irony XD relax guys hehehe anyways I managed to get a hold of a copy for free and haven't put it on my comp yet I'll get to it one of these days, hows the editor?

The whole sea was ours, and, with all the gates of the horizon open, real peace and freedom were wafted down from the firmament itself. It was as though the fresh salt tang in the air, and all the blue purity that surrounded us had washed and cleansed both body and soul.
posted 11-22-07 03:52 PM EDT (US)     47 / 52  
Here's the translation of the first German review (Gamona.de) using Google Translatior. People say it's unusable but I think I can understand most of it. Anyway:

The World at your feet ...
As befits a future rulers of the world, you are the blue planet and its 60 provinces practically already at the beginning of EE3 feet. However, the matter a little hook: You have only one of these areas and you are on the way to World's throne a lot of work ahead.

Patience is the highest virtue, therefore, as in the game show. Before its really starting to miss the World subject to, it is necessary for one of the three factions to decide. Depending on whether the West, the Middle East or the Far East chooses, covers the composition of your civilization.

During her to the west on expensive high-tech units mades, which are tougher and more damage than their enemies, their yard in the Far East rather masses of units into battle and try your enemies with aggressive tactics to overrun. A middle ground is because, um, Middle East, especially with its strong cavalry and überfallartigen attacks to impress white. You need also to decide in advance whether their quality or quantity, and your game strategy accordingly.

Dual Gameplay
The gameplay of EE3 is also divided, and this includes both real-time strategy and turn-components. Before you venture onto the battlefield may require some strategic considerations and preparations based on a 3D-Globus made. On this pretty PROVIDED miniature World provinces are all neatly separated.

You can imagine this as a kind of pitch imagine how you look at it from the board game "Risk", on the one his armies will move to new territories to conquer. This phase of the game is obtained and rather unspectacular, it is important nonetheless. Finally, it decides not only about where your troops march, but also the overarching strategy and even the advancement of your people of antiquity to the future will be controlled here.

This is because each of the provinces assigned to a guy who decides how many points per game you can get round. Depending on whether the UK Resource points in military, trade, technology empire or return, you can align your strategy. The more rare provinces with research and conquered their points accordingly as a technology-declared sites, the faster your empire is in the five ages ahead and thus an advantage over his opponents elaborate.

However, it is to keep the balance-after it also requires sufficient military provinces and points with which you can draw your armies. Have you decided to recruit an army, which allowed her composition, incidentally, before the battle even more influence. If you tend to infantry, cavalry or is it a Feldgeschütz more? That is up to you, but can also be a valuable resource cost points.

At into battle!
Once all your moves have planned to go to the Canned, because each round can be completed only when the previously frozen conflicts were managed. Did you do one or more of your armies in foreign provinces postponed, it will fight against the indigenous tribes or KI-Gegner.

If you are against KI-Kontrahenten antretet, you have the choice whether you personally on the battlefield want to go or the outcome of the battle can calculate. In any case, but it is safer, the case itself and to its troops to the field.

At this point changes Empire Earth 3, turn into real-time gameplay: the battle mode. The end game is classic RTS: You build a city center, buildings and units created for resource extraction and the resulting invested assets in a very powerful force. But all you need to do it under circumstances precisely the population limit in mind the limited number of actions, and therefore requires a strategic approach.

You can also as "Westerners" are not 10,000 units produce and then against your enemies. Therefore, it makes sense to the units in their characteristics and to develop their skills to improve them, for example in order to provide greater range to miss or more "Bumms".

Where to go long?
Sometimes developers try, with minor tasks or conquest orders such as "Save the daughter of Dorfhäuptlings", "Beseitige the barbarians" or the liberation of the "Holy Land" to change events and to make even rewards in the form of units or global resources of Funds. This part of the game is very solid succeeded in comparison to modern representatives like Company of Heroes effect the gameplay still a little angestaubt and generic.

If your small army into the fight, unfortunately, remain a few technical deficiencies are not hidden. Rather than bad law is the KI-Wegfindung failed, often leading to a line through your plans. So, it is possible that the troops in the countryside still hang, and no more stirring centimeters. It may be that the formation of the automatic alignment. The fact is, however, that only solves the node and the march can go further, after almost each unit by hand and chooses to another location commanded. In hectic moments can be about victory and defeat.

Almost worse it looks for ships. This sail and take part not only laterally, which can still forgive. No, they are at greater Armadas itself in the way, repeatedly turning around its own axis, and then finally the right path. Particularly bitter is, of course, if one tries, one's own units enemy fire to rescue. Occasionally, it even before, that they depend on small tabs, and then stay no longer be used. That may attend as a title simply not happen!

Of these nuisance apart owns EE3 a solid technical foundation, but the middle level can not escape. The overall look is very nice to look at and offers on the one hand, varied landscapes and weather effects (which does not affect the gameplay effect), and detailed units. On the other hand, the sound is more cautious and less epochal, with the stupid sayings of the virtual tin soldiers quickly on the nerves go (and fortunately can be turned off).

In addition, the camera is once again too close to the events and can be used for a good overview not go far enough hinausgezoomt, which is in constant scrolling noticeable. The spartan interface will also not be a beauty prize, nor a particularly Feature Rich remembered. Whoever is multiplayer battles interested may incidentally, with up to seven other players in the battle plunge, with a choice of the team.

This is the best signature ever!
posted 11-22-07 04:28 PM EDT (US)     48 / 52  
hows the editor?
We can safely assume it sux ballz

EE forever
posted 11-22-07 04:37 PM EDT (US)     49 / 52  
hows the editor?
We can safely assume it sux ballz
To eyes that's only ever used EE1's editor, it looks an awful lot like EE2's.

If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.
posted 11-22-07 08:54 PM EDT (US)     50 / 52  
EE1 editor was good. Just what exactly is EE2/EE3's editor like? Simple differences to EE1's is what im looking for.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....
posted 11-22-07 09:30 PM EDT (US)     51 / 52  
I'm definately not the best to answer this, but they basically scrapped the whole trigger system and put in a new system that doesn't let you do all the awesome things you have done with both EE and RaF (and would have done for Empires if not for the bugs). From what I understand, and I could be completely wrong, the map designing is fairly similar but its just the scripting system that is difficult to work with and not as powerful.

posted 11-23-07 02:43 PM EDT (US)     52 / 52  
Basically in the EE2 Editor you have to script instead of using triggers. It's actually possible to do lots of things with it but scripting it's quite complicated (It took me ages to understand how to script). Even simple things such as setting the starting/ending epochs require scripting so generally it's impossible to make a good scenario if you don't know how to script (but you don't have to script to make a good map).

I personally think the other features of EE2 Editor, such as terrain painter and unit placer are better than EE/RaF ones. But with the trigger system gone, the EE/RaF editor is still much better.

This is the best signature ever!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » Empire Earth 3 General Discussions » Two Empire Earth 3 Reviews out
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames