Please login or register

Empire Earth 3 General Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: First impressions...
posted 11-11-07 01:58 PM EDT (US)   
I will try to shed some light on others thoughts who only played the demo or maybe worried EE3 is not a good sequel. When I first played the EE3 demo, like some others I was not all that impressed. I almost decided to pass on this game because of it. Then, last night I decided to buy the full version and I have some good news, it has indeed been great fun! Let me tell you, its like night and day from the demo to the full version. There are 5 eras and we only seen 1 in the demo, just 1. Then we could not build any naval units in the demo either and there are some super cool ones.

The eras are ancient, medieval, colonial, modern, furture. There are 3 factions which are western region, far eastern region, and middle eastern region. Western represent us, europe, britain technology and has the quality over the quantity, there units are the best one on one but cost the most. Middle eastern would represent all the little middle east countries such as iraq, iran, israel, they are good at ambush, raiding, hit and run, things like that. Then far eastern is like russia, china, japan, and they have quantity over quality. For example, the far eastern can use kamikazi planes.

Some things I really like about EE3 is resource managment and the way air units are handled. You have to research better planes at an airfield if you want your carrier planes to be more advanced also. The airstrikes are devastating as hell but very expensive. Serious offensive operations can be done when you combine air, sea and follow up with ground attack. When you hit your enemy with all of this, its a nice show.

It is easy to coordinate air attacks since you don't have to try and select all of these planes in the air flying all over the place. The water and enviornmental effects are nice and there are some really good animations for some of the units. Even though I mention alot of more modern warfare, the earlier ages are just as interesting.

It seems maddoc went for more of a starcraft/warcraft setting for the game this time. For example, units take more of a fictional look but they are really pretty cool. If an open minded approach is taken to EE3, most people will like it. There is alot of differences here then the other two, like I said it has more of a starcraft/warcraft feel. That is not necessarily a bad thing. It kind of gives away a little historical setting and moves to a more fictional but fun area.

I loaded up the editor but only really quick, it looked very much like the one in EE2 with added things. Maybe I can check it out more later. A downfall, I did have some performance issues when I cranked the game up to max. I am running an AMD 5200+, 2GB ram, but only a Geforce 7600GS which is just a temp card for now. I would think the game would run at max on my system.

I have not tried multiplayer yet but I think that would be great fun. The world domination mode looks pretty good but I have not played it much yet. I think its a little like RoN. One downfall is I don't think the skirmish maps are random anymore unless its a bug where it is not regenerating, I have not been able to patch up to v1.1 yet. So the maps are all pre-built like warcraft if this is the case, maybe someone else can confirm this? I know in the editor you can make random ones though.

So in summary for a first impression review, I give the game an 80%, it just don't really feel like empire earth but it kept me up until 4am. I would bet anyone who likes RTS games but never played any EE would love it. Where old fans of EE (I am one though) may not like it at first (like me) but after a few games I think they will. I am baseing all of this of the v1.0 release.

-Warspite-
Replies:
posted 11-11-07 05:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
Glad to hear some positive comments after hearing so many negative ones. Unfortunately I could not play any Skirmish games in the demo and I had been told that my Video Card is not good enough. But I did get a peek at the World Domination which seems somewhat interesting, although it got ruined poor performance (again should be the fault of my Video Card). I probably won't be buying this game now though, I might pick it up later after I read more reviews and see what everyone thinks about the game.

This is the best signature ever!
posted 11-11-07 07:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
I'm glad to hear the full version is so much better than the demo. I'm going to go buy the game this weekend most likely.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 11-11-07 11:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
It will be interesting to see how the pro's (pc gamer, gamespy, gamespot, ign, etc) are going to review it. I think it will get reviews around 75%-85% from most places. Starting at 75 mainly because its different from the others in the series. Most will probably rate it somewhere in the 80s.

-Warspite-
posted 11-12-07 05:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
I believe I have all in game settings maxed and weather turned on. My resolution is at 1280x1024

My system specs are

AMD FX57
2GB of RAM
8800GTX
2 80GB drives in a RAID 0

So my system is not that powerful except for the vid card and the game runs great except for online lag between peers. It seems that it is hard to get good pings in game and I believe that is due to a low amount of players online right now.

Also the ladder match area has better hosting but the issue there is the online players get heart beat not found or missing errors sometimes which kills the game.

I am not sure but I believe the ladder matches our hosted by servers and not peer to peer.

I am enjoying the game but the East can build really fast which puts the west at a real disadvantage for online play.
posted 11-15-07 00:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
i can say that most the annoyances in EE3 from the alpha has been sorted out in the demo. what bugged me before was the placement of buildings especially warehouses in the alpha. they just were too restrictive and u spend so much time finding a good spot for it. now thats not an issue. which is good.

they went back to the drawing board in EE3 and made it a lot simpler after many thought EE2 was too complicated (although personally i liked it that way).

I also love the new way they handled air power. kind of like C&C generals. old ways of having masses of planes buzzing around the field actually isnt very realistic and was a pain in the ass to micro.

The world domination mode while its like RoN, cant be that original with this gameplay element now since every RTS has it now it seems. I think in EE3 is done pretty well. As for the maps, during the EE3 university. They mentioned the maps would be fixed and not random. Cuts down on replay i guess but i think in a way more realistic.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 11-15-2007 @ 00:35 AM).]

posted 11-15-07 00:35 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
I also love the new way they handled air power. kind of like C&C generals. old ways of having masses of planes buzzing around the field actually isnt very realistic and was a pain in the ass to micro.
I absolutely agree. It was one of the things that always turned me off of modern or WW age games. I was never able to click the stupid planes to go send them to do my bidding.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 11-15-07 00:41 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
they still do have air units that you can micro (like helicopters and transports) but having attack planes 'automated' and pinpoint (and devastating) really cuts down on the clutter on screen. plus if u have the cash and needs to take out an army quick, the air strikes are great!
posted 11-15-07 00:45 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
I know there are still air units. What I meant is that I like the modern and future ages more than in other games because I can actually make the units do what I want them to.

posted 11-15-07 08:16 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
i actually love how the air is handled too. Much less annoying and does alot more damage compared to EE2. The game has come along way from the alpha but i still think maddoc made a bad decision to change the UI from the alpha.

The UI now i dislike, the alpha UI was perfect, looked good and didnt block alot of the screen. Also the bugs that are coming up are worrying, memory leaks, crashing after 20mins. I just hope we see some patches to fix these.

Empire Earth Planet
www.eeplanet.net
posted 11-15-07 10:11 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
Also the bugs that are coming up are worrying, memory leaks, crashing after 20mins. I just hope we see some patches to fix these.
I'm sure we can be expecting them soon enough. If they already released a 300 MB patch then you can assume more are going to be coming.

posted 11-16-07 04:40 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
just to add, ive had no crashes or performance issues with the Demo

i have a 2Ghz 2GBRAM, Dell Inspiron M1710 Duo Core T7200 running WinXP Pro 2002 svrpk 2. Nvidia GFGo7900GS 256MB

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 11-16-2007 @ 04:40 AM).]

posted 11-16-07 09:45 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
Oh thats cool, because I think the recommended specs are higher than that. If you could run it fine anyways, thats good to know.

posted 11-19-07 11:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » Empire Earth 3 General Discussions » First impressions...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames