Please login or register

EE2 Multiplayer Strategy
Moderated by GoSailing, Soty

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: defensive strategies
posted 09-03-05 09:00 PM EDT (US)   
I tended to use walls/outposts/fortresses, but then i realised, playing against a human, or against a tougher AI, i'd get smashed. So i used less defences, but backed it up generally with infantry, maybe with some cavalry. It depended on epoch, but after about epoch ten, i used infantry backed up with artillery.

What sort of strategies do you guys use?

Replies:
posted 09-03-05 10:21 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
moving to mp strat section

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 09-05-05 01:41 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
    maybe, but i wasn't really talking about multiplayer, more single player, but if u think the relocation is necessary. . .
    posted 09-05-05 02:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
    I personally don't believe too much in walls. Too much resource investment for what (eventually) winds up becoming a small speed bump in the end game. EE2 is truly about being OFFENSIVE, not DEFENSIVE. If you need some defences, put some Towers around your "country"s' perimeter, and then strategically place 3-4 "groups"(I prefer to keep my groups balanced with a bit of everything, with a slight emphasis on Heavy Infantry and Light Cavalry ;D ). It might not work as well around human opponents (I'm not into OL playing), but the current AI can't seem to resist stopping to try to take out all towers in the area. That usually gives you more than enough time to move one of your groups (if nessesary) to the area to engage them (usually from rear ). If you happen to have a "bottle-neck" area (where there's only one way through) make sure you keep your unit back just far enough so that the towers are fully engaging them at the same time you are.

"Power is nothing without control.. "
    posted 09-06-05 01:44 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
    yeah, i'm inclined to think that way, but what does everyone think of the defensive values of fortresses/outposts?? I personally think that a fortress is only useful close to city centres or wonders, and that outposts are only worth placing (when in higher epochs cuz of longer range) to back up your defensive forces there.
    posted 09-06-05 11:52 AM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
    I don't care for fortresses too much myself. If you could receive some type of pop cap reduction for garrisoning it, it might be worth it. Otherwise (like walls) it's a sitting duck for any cannon/aircraft that cares to take a pot shot at it. Ask the French with their "Maginot Line", mobility beats fixed fortifications every time.

"Power is nothing without control.. "
    posted 09-06-05 09:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
    Walls/towers,outposts,and fortresses. Are awesome, make a drain sort of thing that only lets in maybe 5 guys of the enemy at a time and just pick them off, houses also offer bonuses. I can post a game where all these make a huge difference its actually a 2v1. Inca(me) vs inca and america in a 7-12 epoch game.

[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/1769/fenam2300x754no.jpg[/img]

or

Fenam

posted 09-07-05 05:22 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
    Yeah the maginot line was a great idea, but i personally think the opposition was a bit stupid about attacking it, but still.

The thing really required by this game is a relatively weak defensive building, that is built quick, and hits not bad damage, with no territory limit. Something like the machine gun nest or whatever it is, and the pillbox, but for all epochs.

posted 09-20-05 05:31 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
    walls are great, especially in early epochs to prevent the enemy from flanking you. Small sections of walls placed properly can also slow the enemy down (by making them move around the obstacles).
    Placing ranged units behind cheap barriers suchj as walls also provide obvious advantages.
    Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » EE2 Multiplayer Strategy » defensive strategies
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames