Moderated by GoSailing, Soty

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: EE2 Editor - First Impressions
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-21-05 05:41 PM EDT (US)   
WARNING - LOTS OF PICS!

On opening the editor, the first thing I noticed was the resolution. Unlike in EE, the editor in EE2 is displayed in the resolution you are currently playing in, in my case this was 1280x1024, which provides for a nice workspace. The shots here are all in 1024x768 to try and keep the image size down on the full screen shots.

The opening screen looks like this;

From here you can change all aspects of the map or ditch it and generate a new one. The choices so far are Temperate, Arid and Tropical for your initial map types. Hopefully the final version will include Arctic and other environments, although of course you can modify the terrain yourself afterwards.

Simple, straightforward menus make the whole thing easy and intuitive to navigate;

The following shots show how the landscape changes according to the season;

Like EE and some other games you can import elevation data.

Terrain editing is all very easy and immediately I found a feature I love. It is the terrain sampler. This allows you to select an area and use that to "paint" any other part of the map. Ideal for anyone who has created an interesting effect with terrains and has then been unable to reproduce it. I couldn’t actually manage to get much in the way of blending done, one terrain tended to replace another, and hope this feature can be extended to include ambients and possibly even objects. However, as the shot below shows you can take part of a terrain, in this case the grass part of the tropical default terrain, and use it to make a grassy area within it;

More soon.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

AoEH | EEH | RoNH | IndividualsCAN

Replies:
posted 03-21-05 08:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 47  
Awesome work!

I can't wait to see how the programmed triggers are like.

posted 03-21-05 08:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 47  
I'll get to them if they are in my copy. Next I will be looking at territories and units.

posted 03-21-05 08:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 47  
Hrmmm... the terrain seems boring. How many terrain types are there?

Are there many types of snow and desert terrains?

edit-

Are there urban terrains?

Cherub at Empire Earth Heaven - Administrator and Developer of Degrees of Zero Design

[This message has been edited by penguini_1 (edited 03-21-2005 @ 08:54 PM).]

posted 03-21-05 09:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 47  
posted 03-21-05 09:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 47  

Quote:

Are there urban terrains?

In a sense yes, there are things like asphalt, stone paths etc. I don't think I have all the units and terrains but I'll try and post a good spread.

One thing I just discovered which I like is that you can create custom areas, much like using the polygon shape tool in a graphics program. I don't know if areas can be linked and grouped yet.

posted 03-21-05 10:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 47  
Can you make barbed wire, hedgehogs, Element-C, craters, bunkers, trenches, sandbags, or seawalls?

*coughd-daycough*

Xfire r0x0rZ

"When you want to fool the world, tell the truth."
-Otto von Bismarck

posted 03-21-05 11:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 47  
barbed wire is part of the game
posted 03-22-05 11:32 AM EDT (US)     8 / 47  
Good work Phill. Looking forward for your next installment.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 03-22-05 11:37 AM EDT (US)     9 / 47  
Well I'm trying not to trip over ODA who is doing stuff too. We can cover different stuff, though.

posted 03-23-05 04:28 PM EDT (US)     10 / 47  
Ah, at last. Looking good..

TGB
THE GREAT
BRITON

EPIC DESIGNS | WOAD CREATIONS

posted 03-27-05 08:59 PM EDT (US)     11 / 47  
Great.

What does "Auto Balance" do?

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
posted 03-28-05 07:09 AM EDT (US)     12 / 47  
Haven't got a clue. We're working on part two of this so we'll try and cover anything we missed so far.

posted 03-28-05 07:40 AM EDT (US)     13 / 47  
not exactly sure cause i couldnt get it to work. but my guess is that its related to the unit balancing facility that Maddoc used to help balance their units.
posted 03-30-05 10:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 47  
It was pretty ridiculous that they didn't have a basic map copy feature from AoK in EE, it sounds like terrain sampler is basically map copy.

I sure hope they have some hotkeys in the editor this time. I can't imagine how the scenario designers of EE managed to make all those campaigns without saying "Hmmm... Let's add hotkeys!" Even classic AoE has hotkeys.

posted 04-06-05 07:01 AM EDT (US)     15 / 47  
So are there triggers? and are they as good as the ones in EE AOC? I atleast hope there will be good graphic effects, but if there are no triggers this whole empire earth 2 is a waste of time.
posted 04-06-05 10:19 AM EDT (US)     16 / 47  
to me it seems that eeII already is a complete waste of time.
posted 04-21-05 11:34 AM EDT (US)     17 / 47  
I hope there are triggers and we don't have to learn a whole new programming language. I was so aggravated with RoN I gave it away. I also hope they aren't going to try to be "clever". There are so many good scenario designers out there but lately the editors with so many games have been such crap nobody want's to bother.
posted 04-22-05 02:23 PM EDT (US)     18 / 47  
How do you set the starting attributes? can you create a "random" ready to play map? How can you set the starting PLUS the ending epochs for the different players?

Cheers!

posted 04-22-05 07:46 PM EDT (US)     19 / 47  
Is it really possible to have a game without triggers? What does RoN have instead?
posted 04-22-05 08:38 PM EDT (US)     20 / 47  

Quote:

Is it really possible to have a game without triggers? What does RoN have instead?

A script system. I just hope it has a tutorial and detailed guide, unlike Empires' Random Map Script thing.

"It's so neat, you can even include triggers in your random maps now!"
"That's awesome, how do you do that?"
"Er.. I dunno, SSSi never... Told us..."

Quote:

to me it seems that eeII already is a complete waste of time.

Look up "constructive critisism" in the dictionary, please.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie

[This message has been edited by Midgard Eagle (edited 04-22-2005 @ 08:39 PM).]

posted 04-23-05 01:23 AM EDT (US)     21 / 47  
Is this just speculation, or have they actually replaced the trigger system with something that only a programmer can understand? I can't imagine why they would do anything like that, since the main concern of the scenario editor was a lack of documentation (e.g. elevation files) and a steep learning curve (e.g. lack of tutorials, over complexity in some areas, lack of a simplified version for beginners). I would think it would be a great editor, with a trigger system very similar to EE, with some new features.
posted 04-23-05 06:02 AM EDT (US)     22 / 47  
Can the screen be rotated in the Editor, or even in the game?. I have the Demo but I still don't know if it can be rotated, because I don't know how to do it in the Demo.

That is if it is at all even possible to rotate it in the Demo.

posted 04-23-05 01:48 PM EDT (US)     23 / 47  
It doesn't have standard triggers as far as I can tell, its all scripted. The AI is garbage, if you send an army off over a bridge or through a small gate, they all get stuck and dribs and drabs get to where you actually need them to be.
The editor is a huge LEMON, (I think) but I'll let you make your own assumptions, but its nothing LIKE the ee, ee dow editors.. You can't (as far as I could see) set start/end epochs for the different players. You can't create random playable maps... Its a joke.

[This message has been edited by byt (edited 04-23-2005 @ 08:40 PM).]

posted 04-23-05 01:54 PM EDT (US)     24 / 47  
The game is modable, which is great.

posted 04-24-05 06:38 AM EDT (US)     25 / 47  
i dont think its gonna be much better than the ee editor
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Empire Earth Heaven » Forums » EE2 Scenario Design » EE2 Editor - First Impressions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Empire Earth Heaven | HeavenGames